- What information ExceptionALLY collects from you (and why we collect it),
- How we use and share that information,
- The choices you have, including how to access, update and delete your information.
This policy applies to all products and services offered by EdQwest, Inc. (“ExceptionALLY,” “we,” “us,” “our,” and our subsidiaries or affiliates).
Last updated: March 22, 2017.
This policy does not apply to websites or services or practices of companies that ExceptionALLY doesn’t own or control, such as third party services you might access through links or other features (e.g., social media buttons) on the Service. These other services have their own privacy policies, and we encourage you to review them before providing them with personal information.
What is ExceptionALLY?
ExceptionALLY is an information platform that supports parents and educators in the special education process. When parents set up an ExceptionALLY account, they create a unique username and password.
If you are the parent or legal guardian of a child who has created an ExceptionALLY account and you did not receive an email seeking your consent or providing notice (as per COPPA), you can email us at info@Growexceptionally.com to have that child’s account deleted.
Any parents that want copies of their children’s personal information that we may have stored can contact us either by sending an email at info@Growexceptionally.com. At any time, parents can refuse to permit us to collect further personal information from their children, and can request that we delete the personal information we have collected from their child by contacting us. Please keep in mind that deleting records may require us to terminate the account in question. Also remember that before we can share the information with you, or delete it per your request, we will need to verify your identity, for example by requiring that you provide acceptable forms of personal identification.
What information does ExceptionALLY collect?
We collect two types of information about you: (1) information that you voluntarily provide us by using the ExceptionALLY Service (described below under “Information you provide to us“) and (2) information collected automatically as result of your use of the Service (described below under “Information collected automatically”). The types and amounts of information collected will vary depending on whether the user is a teacher, school leader, parent or student (e.g. we collect minimal information from students) and how they use ExceptionALLY (e.g. if teachers join their school, we may need to collect school address information).
Information you provide to us
There are currently two categories of users on our Service: teachers and parents. We collect and store the following types of information from each type of user:
- Account Sign-up and Profile Information: To create an ExceptionALLY account as a teacher, school leader, or parent, you may be asked to provide some basic information such as your first and last name, email address, telephone number, password and a profile photo. Teacher and school leader profiles may be viewed by other teachers and school leaders; however, no teacher, parent or student profile is made available or visible to the general public through the functionality of our Service.
- Questionnaire and Survey Information: To receive ExceptionALLY’s Service (including but not limited to) recommended accommodations, modifications, and development goals for an Individualized Education Plan, you can complete questionnaires and surveys about your child, your family, and your child’s school on ExceptionALLY’s website. The information you provide will be used to deliver ExceptionALLY’s Service to you.
- Contact Information: When you choose to provide us with your personal information through the Service in some other manner (e.g., when you send us an email asking a question, submit a support request, participate in a video testimonial about our Service, or choose to participate in any research efforts with ExceptionALLY to improve the Service).
Our use of the information above is described below in the “How Does ExceptionALLY Use the Information it Collects” section. If you are using the ExceptionALLY App, we may ask you for certain additional permissions.
Information collected automatically
The technologies and information we automatically collect include:
- Cookies and other similar technologies: We (or our service providers) may use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit our Service including, clear GIFs (also known as “web beacons”), “tags”, “scripts”, and “cookies”. We use both session and persistent cookies: a session cookie disappears after you close your browser; a persistent cookie remains after you close your browser (although it can be removed) and may be used by your browser to identify you on subsequent visits to the Service. We may also use, collect and store information locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5). Like many services, ExceptionALLY uses these technologies to tailor the Service for you, and to help the Service work better for you – for example, by remembering your language preferences.
- Device information: We collect device-specific information such as your operating system, hardware version, device settings, file and software names and types, battery and signal strength, and device identifiers. This helps us measure how the Service is performing, improve ExceptionALLY for you on your particular device, and send you push notifications if you’ve opted in to receive them.
- Log information: Like most online services, when you use our Service, we automatically collect and store certain information in our server logs. Examples include things like:
- Details of how you used our service, such as your activity on the Service, and the frequency and duration of your visits to the ExceptionALLY Website or ExceptionALLY App (similar to TV ratings that indicate how many people watched a particular show)
- Telephony log information like your phone number and SMS routing information
- IP Address
- Device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL
- Location information: When you use our Service we may collect and process information about your geographic location, for example through GPS, Bluetooth, or WiFi signals. If you no longer wish to allow us to track your location information, you may opt-out at any time by turning it off at the device level.
This information helps us make decisions about what we should work on next – for example, by showing which features are most (or least!) popular.
How does ExceptionALLY use the information it collects?
First and foremost, you should know that ExceptionALLY does not sell or rent any of your, or your child’s, personal information to any third party for any purpose – including for advertising or marketing purposes. We use the information we collect from you to provide you with the best ExceptionALLY experience. More specifically, this information is used to:
- Provide and improve the Service, for example by developing new products and features
- Respond to your requests for information or customer support
- Customize the Service for you, and improve your experience with it
- Send you information about new features and ExceptionALLY products we believe you may be interested in
- Most crucially, to protect our community by making sure the Service remains safe and secure
How does ExceptionALLY protect and secure my information?
Your ExceptionALLY account is protected by a password. You can help us protect against unauthorized access to your account by keeping your password secret at all times.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We work hard to protect our community, and we maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect against unauthorized use, disclosure of or access to personal information. In particular:
- We periodically review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems
- We continually develop and implement features to keep your personal information safe
Although we make concerted good faith efforts to maintain the security of personal information, and we work hard to ensure the integrity and security of our systems, no practices are 100% immune, and we can’t guarantee the security of information. Outages, attacks, human error, system failure, unauthorized use or other factors may compromise the security of user information at any time. If we learn of a security breach, we will attempt to notify you electronically (subject to any applicable laws) so that you can take appropriate protective steps; for example, we may post a notice on our homepage (www.Growexceptionally.com) or elsewhere on the Service, and may send email to you at the email address you have provided to us. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing.
Can I opt-out of providing information?
You can always decline to share personal information with us, or even block all cookies. However, it’s important to remember that many of ExceptionALLY’s features may not be accessible, or may not function properly – for example, we may not be able to remember your language preferences for you.
How can I access and manage my personal information?
ExceptionALLY aims to provide you with easy access to any personal information we have collected about you. If that information is incorrect, we give you easy ways to update it, or to delete it, unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business (e.g., we need at least an email address for your account) or legal purposes.
- Accessing Your Information: Upon request, ExceptionALLY will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal information, and, if you are a user of ExceptionALLY, you may request access to all your personal information we have on file by contacting us at info@Growexceptionally.com. In some cases, we won’t be able to guarantee complete access due to legal restrictions – for example, you will not be allowed to access files that contain information about other users or information that is confidential to us. We may not be able to fulfill requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort or would be extremely impractical.
- Updating Your Information: You may update, correct, or delete some of your profile information or your preferences at any time by logging into your account on ExceptionALLY and accessing your account settings page. You may have to verify your identity before you can do that. You may also, at any time, update, correct, or delete certain personal information that you have provided to us by contacting us at info@Growexceptionally.com. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe. Please note that while your changes may be reflected promptly in active content, users that have previously accessed the content may still have access to old copies cached on their device or may have copied and stored your content. In addition, we may retain a backup copy of the prior version for a limited period of time or for legal purposes.
How can I delete my account?
We hope you love using ExceptionALLY now and always. However, if for some reason you ever want to delete your account (or your child’s account, if you are his or her parent), you can do that at any time by contacting us at info@Growexceptionally.com.
When you delete your account, we delete your profile information and any other content you provide in your profile (such as your name, username, password, email address, and profile photos) and depending on the category of user you are, and information collected through the mobile permissions you’ve granted. Information that you have shared with others, others have shared about you, or content other users may have copied and stored, is not part of your account and may not be deleted when you delete your account.
What communications will I receive from ExceptionALLY?
If you registered on ExceptionALLY, provided an email or phone number to us, or otherwise opted-in to receive communications from us, we may send you messages and updates regarding your account, including privacy and security notices, updates regarding the Service, and information regarding products, features or services from ExceptionALLY. These communications may include, but are not limited to, social media updates, SMS/MMS messages, push notifications, email, and postal mail. If you have an account with us, we’ll also use your email address to contact you for customer service purposes, or for any legal matters that arise in the course of business.
If you invite another person to join you on ExceptionALLY by providing their email address or phone number, we may contact them regarding the Service using the appropriate form of communication. If they would prefer not to receive our communications, they may opt-out using the “STOP” instructions contained in those communications.
Social Media Features/Widgets
How will ExceptionALLY notify me of changes to this policy?
What if I’m not in the U.S.?
California Privacy Disclosures
Do Not Track: ExceptionALLY does not track its users over time and across third party websites to provide targeted advertising and therefore does not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals. For more information on “do not track”, please visit www.allaboutdnt.org.
Third parties that have content embedded on the ExceptionALLY Website, such as a social feature, may set cookies on a user’s browser and/or obtain information about the fact that a web browser visited a the ExceptionALLY Website from a certain IP address. Third parties cannot collect any other personally identifiable information from ExceptionALLY’s websites unless you provide it to them directly.
How can I contact ExceptionALLY with questions?
478 Hamilton St. SE